Public Consultation on Indicators Report Ends Jan 31
Please send us your comments on “Indicators and a Monitoring Framework for the SDGs” this week. Following the consultation, a revised report incorporating public comments will serve as input into the Expert Group Meeting on SDG Indicators in February 2015. submit your input »
UN Side Event on SDGs Indicators and Review
On January 20, the SDSN, with the Governments of Mexico and Germany, hosted a side-event entitled “Tracking Progress on the SDGs: Indicators and Review Mechanisms” at the 1st session of the UN Intergovernmental Negotiations on the Post-2015 Development Agenda. read more »
Sahel SDSN Launched in Dakar, Senegal
On January 16, 2015, the Sahel SDSN launched in Dakar, Senegal. The Université Cheikh Anta Diop de Dakar (UCAD) hosts the regional network, with support from the MDG Centre West and Central Africa. The network includes over 20 member institutions from Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, and Senegal. read more »
Spanish SDSN Launched in Madrid
On January 12, The Spanish SDSN (Red Española para el Desarrollo Sostenible – REDS) launched in Madrid. Former Minister Miguel Ángel Moratinos, Teresa Ribera, Director of Institute for Sustainable Development and International Relations (IDDRI), and Jeffrey Sachs, Director of the SDSN and Earth Institute, led the public presentation of the Spanish network. read more »
IFA-SDSN Workshop on Nutrient Indicators
On January 15, the SDSN and the International Fertilizer Industry Association (IFA) held a workshop on metrics for nutrient management and performance in the post-2015 agenda. Some 30 participants from science, business, civil society, and the UN presented their views. Outcomes are reflected in Indicators 12 and 13 in the Indicators report. read more »
UrbanSDG Campaign Meeting in Bangalore
On January 12-14, 2015, the SDSN organized a meeting with the #urbanSDG Campaign at the Indian Institute for Human Settlements (IIHS) in Bangalore, India, with a focus on the targets and indicators of the UN Open Working Group’s proposed goal on Sustainable Cities. read more »
Enroll Now in “The Age of Sustainable Development”
The third instance of Professor Jeffrey Sachs’ online course, The Age of Sustainable Development, launched on January 20, 2015 on SDSN.edu. This 14-week course provides an overview of the challenges and pathways to sustainable development and will feature live video chat with Professor Sachs and several other relevant experts. enroll now »
SDSN in the Media
Former president joins UN sustainable development initiative – Dominican Today, January 23
Christiana Figueres: Businesses still aren’t feeling immediately threatened by climate change – The Guardian, January 22
Guido Schmidt-Traub: Three Challenges to Address to Make the SDGs Work – Farming First, January 20
Jeffrey Sachs: Private capital needed for sustainable development – Sida, January 16
First clean energy, self-sufficient campus in the world – Daily Sabah, January 14
Naoko Ishii: Renewables have a bright future – The Hindu Business Line, January 11
Andrew Steer: So What Did We Learn in 2014? - Huffington Post, December 31
Upcoming SDSN Events
- February 3-5 – SDSN and Investec Asset Management Financing for Sustainable Development Conference | London, UK
- February 4 – Public lecture on “The Age of Sustainable Development” with Jeffrey Sachs (reserve free tickets) | London, UK
- February 5-7 – Delhi Sustainable Development Summit | New Delhi, India
- March 5-6 – 2nd International SDSN Mediterranean (MED Sol) Conference | Siena, Italy
- March 9-11 – The World in 2050 Kick-off Workshop | Vienna, Austria
- April 24 – Happiness Report Launch | New York, USA
News from Our Partners
- On January 20, the SDSN hosted a seminar at Columbia University on “New Approaches to Economic Development (NAEC)” with OECD representatives Mathilde Mesnard, NAEC Co-Coordinator and Senior Advisor to the OECD Secretary General, and William Hynes, Senior Economist. Glenn Denning & Patrick Paul Walsh of SDSN joined the discussion.
- The 2nd International SDSN Mediterranean Conference, organized by the SDSN Mediterranean Regional Network, will be held on March 5-6 at the University of Siena, Italy. The conference will focus on sustainable agriculture solutions for the Mediterranean; attendance is free and open to the public (register by February 15).
- The 3rd International Conference on Sustainable Development Practice (ICSDP), organized bySDSN and Global MDP, will be held on September 23-24, 2015 at Columbia University, New York. View conference highlights from last year’s ICSDP here.
- Our Common Future under Climate Change, the largest forum for the scientific community to come together ahead of COP21 will be held in Paris on July 7-10, 2015. Learn more about how you can register your side-events here.
- The SDSN South Asia Regional Network, hosted by TERI University, is organizing an inter-university poster exhibition and a young researchers symposium on sustainable development on February 5, on the side lines of the Delhi Sustainable Development Summit 2015. More details here.
- Julia Marton-Lefèvre, IUCN‘s outgoing Director General and SDSN Leadership Council member, reflects on her eight year directorship.
- Intergovernmental Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES)published its conceptual framework in PLOS Biology and Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability. The platform examines human-nature interactions and conducts biodiversity assessments to inform policy decisions.
- On January 16, United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS), together with Tokyo Institute of Technology, hosted a symposium on Sustainable Development Goals and the Post-2015 Development Agenda: Current International Discussions and Challenges for Implementation.
- The 2015 Canberra Conference on Earth System Governance “Democracy and Resilience in the Anthropocene” will be held at Australian National University, Canberra, on December 14-16. Deadline to submit paper abstracts is March 1.
- TERI-ITEC‘s upcoming training on “Integrated Approach Towards Sustainable Development” will be held in Gurgaon, India, from March 30 to April 17. Learn more about the residential course here.